rdfms-not-id-and-resource-attr

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 14:48:41 -0000
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Given that I objected to the proposed resolution of this issue at the last
meeting I have been asked to provide an alternative resolution.

My proposal:

  An rdf:ID attribute is permissable on all property elements and always
refers to the resource that is the reification of the triple corresponding
to that property element.

Notes:
  - this allows rdf:ID and rdf:resource on the same property element which
is a change.
  - this favours a reading of the relevant contradiction in M&S in which
para232 is dropped and para214 is preferred.

Reasons for this are:
 - M&S is contradictory and has widely varying implementations of its
reification syntax.
 - This WG must resolve the contradiction.
 - My proposed resolution is very simple, and hence makes reification
significantly more usable, and less of a barrier to RDF take-up.

More detail in:

 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0365.html
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0374.html
 http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Oct/0381.html

I will post a follow-up with some implementation details.

Jeremy