Re: around the table on datatypes [ was: Re: datatyping draft 3 (for telecon)]

On Mon, 2002-02-18 at 13:34, Brian McBride wrote:
> At 23:58 14/02/2002 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
> >Latest version of the datatype summary document now available at
> >
> >http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/phayes/DatatypeSummary3.html
> >
> >incorporating ideas arising from discussions with Patrick S. (rdfs:drange
> >and especially section 10).
>
> I would like to "go round the table" of the WG on the latest datatype
> proposal.  By go round the table, I mean to solicit the views of each
> member of the WG, without initiating a debate on members views.  We can
> then summarize those views and deal with issues arising.
>
> Please answer the following questions:
>
>    o Does the datatyping proposal meet your
>      needs and the needs of your users?
>      (Who are they?) (What is missing?)

No. Two things are missing:

(a) enough RDF/XML examples to get going in monkey-see-monkey-do fashion

(b) S-B, i.e. a way to use rdfs:range to restrict the range
of a property to the lexical space of some datatype.

I think these are straightforward additions; they're as much
about emphasis and documentation as technical specifics
(though using rdfs:range this way requires that the model
theory admit literals as subjects.)

>    o Are there features that could be dropped and
>      still meet the needs of your users? (Which?)

I could live without doublets (rdf:value/rdf:dtype).
I don't mind them being there, though.

>    o Does the proposal 'work for you'?

I think so.

I'm not sure I understand the question.