Datatyping

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 21:27:31 +0000
To: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Folks,

I shall be unavailable to participate in Friday's telecon, but I'd like to
chime in with my view of the datatyping discussion.

I think Pat Hayes' latest proposal [1] represents the most satisfactory
basis for proceeding on the datatyping issue, combining as it does:
(a) tidy literals in the RDF graph
(b) simple model theory/semantics -- no model theoretic gymnastics
(c) flexibility in use

I think the key to achieving all this is the recognition that rdf:value (or
whatever it may be called) has a special syntactic role, with corresponding
rules of interpretation in the formal semantics.

"I commend it to the house"

[1] http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/users/phayes/DatatypeSummary2.html

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)