ACTION: 2001-11-16#7

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 23:51:48 +0000
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
ACTION: 2001-11-16#7 Pat following email discussion of
rdfms-boolean-valued-properties, prepare new statement of this resolution
to bring back for approval.

We discussed boolean valued properties on 16/11 telecon and agreed in
principal that this could be handled using rdf:type, but some wordsmithing
on the resolution was needed.

Pat and I (well Pat did it really, I'm just trying to steal some of the
credit) have worked up the following resolution to close this issue:

   o. The WG notes that since a boolean-valued property can be
      identified with a     class, rdf:type can be used to
      represent boolean valued properties. Thus:

     <foo> <chocolateLover> <true> .

can be represented by

     <foo> <rdf:type> <ChocolateLover> .

   o. While this provides no way to express a negative (negated)
      boolean value, the addition of such an ability would extend
      RDF beyond its anticipated semantic basis, requiring
      unacceptably far-reaching changes.

   o. The WG resolves to close this issue on the grounds that the
      current facilities are adequate for all purposes that do not
      over-extend RDF.

Brian