Datatyping Summary V4

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Feb 2002 13:00:50 +0000
To: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
An updated summary of the datatyping issues, as I currently understand them.

   B1  now disputed
   B7  status changed to agreed
   B9  withdrawn
   B10 added "say what you mean"

Issue B1:

status: disputed by Sergey.  Sergey you owe us an explanation of why.

In S, if one wants to use both idiom A and idiom B, e.g.

<mary> <age> "10" .
<age> <rdfs:range> <xsd:integer.lex> .

<mary> <ageD> _:a .
_:a <xsd:integer.map> "10" .

two properties have to be used, <age> and <ageD>, in this example.

I believe there is a agreement that this is a difference between the
two proposals. Indeed, it may be said that the main aim of TDL is
to avoid requiring different properties for these different idioms.

Can't Live With: PatrickS

Issue B2: Multiple Lexical Representations of a data value

status: agreed that S-A allows this and TDL does not.

S, idiom A, permits multiple lexical representations of a data value:

_:i <xsd:double> "10.1" .
_:i <xsd:double.de> "10,1" .

Issue B3: the self entailment issue
status: Withdrawn in favour of B4:

[[I accept the reasoning above; it doesn't address my objection;
it' just shows that my example wasn't very good. Sergey's
example makes the point better:]]

B9 also added in response to Graham's request.

Issue B4 - TDL breaks existing code

status: facts agreed; significance disputed.

This is similar to B3. I've changed the example slightly from Sergey's.

Under TDL, consider the graph:

_:f <rdf:type> <film> .
_:f <dc:Title> (_, "10") .
<mary> <age> (_, "10").

Does not entail:

_:x <dc:Title> _:y .
_:z <age> _:y .

Can't Live With: DanC

Issue B5: Storage Requirements

status: disputed.

TDL requires significantly more storage to implement.

Issue B6: S requires 4 URI's be registered for each data type
S requires that for each datatype 4 URI's be registered

Sergey: Do you agree this is the case? If not, how many URI's are required
to implement ALL the idioms of S and coexist in the same model.

Issue B7: Complexity

status: agreed

S has several ways of expressing the same thing. An RDF processor has to be
aware of them all. Supported by Jeremy's error cases message

and a message from Andy Seaborne to rdf comments:

Issue B8: S-B encourages logically (sic) errors in the
application type processing.

status: ?

_:f <rdf:type> <film> .
_:f <dc:Title> "10" .
<mary> <age> "10" .

an application 'knows' that the range of <age> is an integer so it 'knows'
that mary has <age> 10. Under S-B, running a query:

?x <dc:Title> ?y .
?z <age> ?y .

will return ?x = _:f and ?z = <mary>, and knowing that the age of <mary> is
10, may conclude that the title of the film is also 10.

Can't Live With: Jeremy

Issue B9: In TDL a document does not entail itself

status: Withdrawn.

Under TDL, does:

<foo> <dc:Title> "W3C" .

<foo> <dc:Title> "W3C" .

Issue B10: Say what you mean

status: ?

The concern here is that in TDL, a literal denotes a pair consisting of a
value and a lexical representation of that value.  The problem is then that
the german representation of floating point number, e.g. "10,5" is
different from the english representation, e.g. "10.5".

Thus under TDL a german 10 and a half is a different thing from an english
10 and a half.

More formally, under TDL:

   <foo>      <eg:size>   _:s1 .
   _:s1       <rdf:value> "10,5" .
   _:s1       <rdf:type>  <xsd:double-de> .

   <bar>      <eg:size>   _:s2 .
   _:s2       <rdf:value> "10.5" .
   _:s2       <rdf:type>  <xsd:double> .

does not entail:

   <foo> <eg:size> _:s .
   <bar> <eg:size> _:s .

Does anyone dispute the facts, or that this is a significant issue?