namespaces and IRI updates

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 10:22:24 +0200
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

The current XML namespaces 1.1 editors' draft uses IRIs and is hence
compatible with the decision we took on URIrefs (IRIrefs) as graph node
labels.

See:

http://www.w3.org/XML/Group/2002/08/WD-xml-names11-20020812/WD-xml-names11-2
0020812

Note particularly:

[[[
IRI references which identify namespaces are considered identical if and
only if they are exactly the same character-for-character.] Case differences
and escaping differences (including case differences in escape sequences)
are therefore significant.
]]]

They do not make any reference to the IRI draft, but define IRI themselves
(not addressing issues to do with normalization - see XML 1.1 - or bidi)

I hope this goes a significant way to meeting the objections to our decision
which, as far as I recall, were based primarily on the move from URI to IRI
being too big a step for RDF Core to take unilaterally.

Jeremy