RE: some review comments on datatype draft

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2002 16:42:18 +0300
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <fmanola@mitre.org>
Cc: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> But rdf:type is already allowed to be an attribute.
>
> Consider the analogous local typing of a URIref denoted resource:
>
>    <ex:friend rdf:type="&ex;Person" rdf:resource="#Bill"/>
>
> which gives us
>
>    ?s ex:friend <#Bill> .
>    <#Bill> rdf:type ex:Person .
>
> How is that any different from the analogous local typing of
> a datatype value (resource):
>
>    <ex:age rdf:type="&xsd;integer">10</ex:age>
>
> ???
>
> These look pretty similar to me, both semantically and syntactically.
>
> So, if using rdf:type as an attribute in this manner is obfuscating,
> then RDF is already obfuscated, and using it for local datatyping
> does not further obfuscate the syntax. This is just taking an existing
> legal form of expression and extending it to work with literals in
> addition to URIrefs.
>
> No?

Specifically, taking the following rule for nodeElements as a template:

S2 If there is an attribute a in propertyAttr with a.URI = rdf:type then
the following statement is added to the model:

   e.subject.string-value <a.URI> <a.string-value> .

then for typed literals we introduce a similar rule for both literalPropertyElt
and parseTypeLiteralPropertyElt

XX If there is an attribute a in propertyAttr with a.URI = rdf:type then
the following statement is added to the model:

   e.subject.string-value e.predicate.string-value <a.string-value>/o.string-value .

or something like that. You get the point.

I.e. this isn't really that big a change to the syntax, and rdf:type
already is allowed as an attribute.

Patrick