(aside) literals, literal tokens in a graph

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:07:14 +0100 (BST)
To: RDFCore Working Group <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

Pat Hayes said (paraphrased)

> How can you put NUMBERS in a GRAPH?

I ought to say that I've got no problem with using literal tokens in the
graph; however, I'd like some clarification of this.

"Consider the set of reals."

Hang on, how can you put a NUMBER into a SET? And since a graph is just
a set as well, where's the problem?

As far as I can see this complaint stems from the (trivial?) distinction
about whether a set contains things or names of things. Is that all that
there is to it? Help! I'm beginning to believe that I'll never be able
to think of a number again. Everything looks like a metaphor suddenly!

Popping out of existence,
jan

I am now available for general use under a modified BSD licence.