Re: single property not required (Datatypes)

From: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 17:32:52 -0500
Cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>

On Thursday, August 1, 2002, at 12:15  AM, Patrick Stickler wrote:

> Binding a given property to only the global/inline idiom or only the
> local idiom is too burdensome for users -- having to both keep track
> of which variant property expects which kind of value

This should be clear from the name

> and having to potentially convert RDF statements between
> idioms/properties.

This is far easier than when you conflate them. At least with the tools
I use.

> taking untidy literals also allows a choice between having a single
> property for datatype value objects or two properties, one for values
> and one for lexical representations.

Why would you want to do that?

> Thus, those who want to do things using tidy semantics, are free to do
> so, even with literals having untidy treatment in the MT

Not really, we still have to deal with people who have chosen to take
advantage of untidy treatment. Since tools (like CWM) can't convert
between the two you'd end up with two camps of data that wouldn't work
with each other.
--
Aaron Swartz [http://www.aaronsw.com] I am large, I contain multitudes.