Re: datatypes: conversation with Mark Butler, chair of cc/pp

On Wed, 2002-08-14 at 12:48, Brian McBride wrote:

> I chatted with Mark Butler yesterday, including some discussion of
> datatypes in cc/pp.
>
> One of the ideas that Mark favours is to define an XML Schema for the cc/pp
> language.  This would enable:
>
>    o validation of incoming cc/pp profiles to a server
>    o the use of default attributes to insert datatype attributes such as
> xsi:type="xsd:decimal" automatically, thus providing global implicit
> datatyping in the parser.

Ouch! that would conflict with a requirement I hold
near and dear, that literals be syntacitcally evident.
i.e. that you can take an RDF/XML document and
tell whether it's true or false in an interpreation
without appeal to a schema or whatever.

Recall:

a test case for "literals must be self-evident"
From: Dan Connolly (connolly@w3.org)
Date: Thu, Nov 29 2001
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-rdfcore-wg/2001Nov/0644.html

> Whilst not perfect, does this technique go some way towards meeting the
> need for global implicit datatyping.

It's all well and good to use XML Schemas to check RDF/XML
documents, but to use them to supply default attributes
isn't workable.