Argh! No more programming language analogies please! RE: Any use cases for untidy literals except long range datatyping?

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:35:48 +0100 (BST)
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
cc: melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, phayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>

Value typing and (implicit or explicit) (compile- or run-time) coercion
vary across programming languages; Eiffel, for instance, doesn't suffer
(if that's the word) as badly as, say, Java, which has made some attempt
to inherit primitive numeric type coercion from C.

Where this coercion occurs - ie, at the parsing/semantic checking stage
or late at evaluation - depends on the language of choice.*

I'm sure everyone can find a programming language (whether traditional
or scripting) that backs up their viewpoint. Maybe we should pick one
and just do what that does. My vote would be for scheme - or possibly
intercal.

jan

* I would add "and how brain-damanged it is" but that's just my opinion
  :-)

Boycott Arabic numerals! What have they ever done for us?