URIs so far (Re: Justification for new node type)

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 11:44:45 +0200
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
CC: Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com wrote:

> Well, Jan has already pointed out a very valid and practical
> reason why URIs wouldn't work as a general solution, based
> on magnitude constraints, so I guess we can just leave this
> one alone ;-)

Just for the record, there is another practical inconvenience (not a
show-stopper) with using URIs: since namespaces are not part of the
abstract syntax, there is no other way of determining the type of a
URI-encoded literal but to test all known URI prefixes against the given
resource URI (of course, assuming no rdf:type is used). And that for
each resource with a URI label...

Summary of cons for URI-encoded literals mentioned in this thread:

- literals and thus URIs can be huge (e.g., BLOBs) [Dan, Jan]
- interpretation of URIs is unrestricted [Graham, Jan]
- literals cannot have substructure in abstract syntax [Patrick]
- type of URI-literals needs to be determined by prefix matching [Sergey]

Still, I share Patrick's view that in principle URIs are a viable
mechanism for encoding typed values and should be taken into account
once RDF shoots for an extensible and generic datatyping framework.

Sergey