Re: Java global implicit typing

From: Mike Dean <mdean@bbn.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 23:48:23 -0400
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>

> String s;
> char c;
>
> c = 5;
> s = 5;
>
> won't work.

The "char c" case actually does work (at least with JDK 1.3
on my Mac).

> A general observation: Java syntax corresponds to RDF/XML, whereas Java
> bytecode can be viewed as a counterpart of RDF abstract model. In the
> bytecode, all of the above constants are "locally typed"
> (http://java.sun.com/docs/books/vmspec/2nd-edition/html/ClassFile.doc.html#20080).

My point is that I as a developer often don't have to be
concerned about the exact numeric type chosen by the
developer of a class (schema/ontology) that I'm using, and
don't have to litter my code (literals) with those types.

	Mike