Re: Clarification of charmod-uri

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:21:39 +0100
To: Aaron Swartz <me@aaronsw.com>
Cc: RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>, Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
At 01:55 PM 4/29/02 -0500, Aaron Swartz wrote:
>On 2002-04-29 05:49 AM, "Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com> wrote:
>
> >> 1) Is there some reason why these Unicode characters cannot be %encoded? I
> > The reason I heard was that the I18N group would like the user's original
> > character input to be preserved as much as possible.  If %-encoding is
> > applied, it's not possible to tell if the user supplied it of the
> application.
>
>This doesn't make any sense to me. Why would the application introduce
>%-encoded characters, and if it did, couldn't it introduce them even if the
>URI was not %-encoded?

What I was trying to say is that if the reading application is required to
convert Unicode URIs to %-escaped form to satisfy a requirement for
US-ASCII only in the RDF, then information about exactly what the user
supplied is lost.

(But I may well have misunderstood this ... I'm not set to defend this,
just trying to explain what I thought I heard.)

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>