Re: 2002-04-16 RDF Datatyping WD submitted for review by WG

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 18:36:06 -0500
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>On 2002-04-19 1:54, "ext Jos De_Roo" <jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com> wrote:
>>  [...]
>>>  PS How about rdfd:datatypeCheckOnPointyEnd.... Nah.
>>  rdfd:dcrange sounds neutral
>>  (at least when thinking about dc as datatype checked ;-)
>I would not like to see 'range' in the property name, since
>it is not the assertion of the property that is constraining
>the interpretation, it is the semantics of the datatype,
>and the association of the datatype can be done in two
>ways, either globally by association with a property or
>locally by the explicit datatype property, but in either
>case, it is the datatype that asserts the constraints.

Oh, I see. Hmmm, I think that reasoning is slightly misleading,
actually, since the *constraint* strictly speaking is applied -
asserted, if you like -  by our semantic conditions, not by the
datatype. (The datatype is just a piece of mathematics as far as the
semantics is concerned.)

I actually do like having something that sounds slightly "range"-ish
in order to convey that it is being applied at the sharp end of the
property (the object not the subject of the triple), but maybe that
is just a private obsession.

>I think that rdfd:datatype and rdfd:RDFDatatype communicate
>most accurately the semantics and are sufficiently different
>to avoid upper/lower case typos or confusion.

I guess I don't like using 'datatype' (the noun) for the property
associating a datatype to the arguments of a property. One can read
rdfs:range as "....has a range which is....", and similarly for
rdfs:domain, rdf:type, etc. , so to me  rdfd:datatype tends to read
like "...has a datatype which is...."  which is misleading, since
this doesn't attach a datatype to the *property*, so much as kind of
empower it to attach it to its objects.

rdfd:objectDatatype ??  Nah..... I'll try again later, I seem to have
lost my naming inspiration.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax