Before we go on...

On 2002-04-18 0:50, "ext Pat Hayes" <phayes@ai.uwf.edu> wrote:

>> The RDF Datatyping MT is not saying the value is ten. It is
>> saying that it is whatever value is identified by the interpretation
>> of the lexical form "10" within the context of the datatype
>> xsd:integer.
>
> No, it isn't saying that. It doesn't refer to contexts, and it is not
> saying that the lexical form identifies a value. That is a very
> misleading and confusing way to describe what the MT says, since the
> MT says very clearly that any literal denotes a string, even when it
> is 'associated' with a datatype, and even in the 'context' of a
> datatyping interpretation.

You continue to misunderstand what I am saying. For the record,
and please print this out and paste it somewhere where you will
always see it:

 Patrick Asserts: A literal node always denotes itself, the literal string.
                  The meaning of a literal node never changes.

There, now let's try again:

A literal *AND* a datatype *TOGETHER* identify a single, specific
datatype value.

The fact that a given literal represents a particular datatype value
according to the lexical to value mapping of a particular datatype
does not change the meaning of the literal itself.

OK?

If you disagree with that, then we disagree about the very
foundation of what RDF Datatyping is, and we need not bother
to go forward.