Re: Denotation of datatype values

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:40:37 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 04:06 PM 4/16/02 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>>  > [GK wanders over to the stake in the ground, and gives it a hard kick, to
>>>  make sure it's still firmly planted...]
>>Was it? ;-)
>>Was the kick to test if was firmly planted, or to ensure
>>that it remains firmly planted?
>Keeping an eye on it...
>>  >> But we have been asked, to a certain extent, to provide an answer
>>>  Having an rdfd:range [[or substitute current vocab]] associated with a
>>>  property tells you nothing about the denotation of an object of that
>>>  property.  I.e. it does nothing to help "obtaining a datatype value
>>>  unambiguously and reliably".  (I found that trying to make it do so leads
>>>  to contradictions.)
>>>  All it does is limit the allowable literals at the property's sharp end.
>>I either don't fully follow you, or disagree (or both ;-)
>>If RDF Datatyping cannot provide a consistent and unambiguous
>>interpretation resulting in a specific datatype value, then
>>we're just wasting our time.
>Well, maybe, but as I understand things according to Pat's last proposal:
>     Jenny age "10" .
>     age rdfd:range xsd:integer .
>Tells us _only_ that the thing denoted by the node at the sharp end
>of "age" is the 2-character string "10".  Which is exactly what you
>have in absence of the rdfd:range statement.
>As far as it goes, that's pretty clear and unambiguous.  But to
>conclude that Jenny's age is defined by the number 10 would be to
>draw upon information that is not sanctioned by the graph and its
>model theory.

Right. In fact, it would strictly speaking be in contradiction to the
content of the RDF. Jenny's actual age probably is ten, but Jenny's
<ex:age> is *definitely* the string "10" according to this RDF. That
is fixed and unambiguous no matter what the datatyping information
is, and we should be clear about that.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax