Re: RDF Datatyping MT *does* define Datatyped Literal Pairings

From: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 12:33:07 +0300
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, ext Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@mimesweeper.com>
CC: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, RDF Core <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On 2002-04-17 12:06, "ext Jeremy Carroll" <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote:

> No it doesn't.
>
> Consider:
>
> <ex:age, rdfd:datatype, xsd:string>
> <ex:age, rdfd:datatype, xsd:integer>
> <Jenny, ex:age, "10">
>
> Fine by the MT, "10" is in the lexical space of both datatypes.

Right.

> No "TDL" pair in sight.

Please, let's not confuse things by bringing up old,
and irrelevant, acronyms, eh ;-)

But the MT *does* define two datatyped literal pairings.

> (Or perhaps the point is that there are two TDL
> inconsistent pairs around - but no inconsistency in the MT).

The MT asserts two datatyped literal pairings -- i.e provides
two interpretations, and if those interpretations conflict,
then that is (possibly) an inconsistency in the graph.

This is no different than multiple rdfs:range constraints conflicting.

The above graph defines the pairings

   <xsd:string,"10">
   <xsd:integer,"10">

and asserts both interpretations to the statement about Jenny's
age.

This follows from the MT, which, when selecting each of the
rdfd:datatype assertions in turn, says:

(3) ... if E contains the triples

   <ex:age, rdfd:datatype, xsd:string>
   <Jenny, ex:age, "10">

then L2V(I(xsd:string))("10") is defined;
i.e. "10" is in the lexical space of I(xsd:string).

(defines the pairing <xsd:string,"10">)

and

(3) ... if E contains the triples

   <ex:age, rdfd:datatype, xsd:integer>
   <Jenny, ex:age, "10">

then L2V(I(xsd:integer))("10") is defined;
i.e. "10" is in the lexical space of I(xsd:integer).

(defines the pairing <xsd:integer,"10">)

Of course, if the two datatypes were, say xsd:integer
and xsd:decimal, then there would be no inconsistency,
no "datatype clash", but the MT would still define
two pairings.

Patrick