Re: Denotation of datatype values

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 16:03:35 -0400
To: Patrick Stickler <patrick.stickler@nokia.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>On 2002-04-09 13:39, "ext Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
>wrote:
>
>>  At 10:19 AM 4/9/02 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>>>  I.e. given only
>>>
>>>     Jane ex:age "25" .
>>>
>>>  "25" alone does not denote the value twenty-five. But given
>>>
>>>     ex:age rdfd:range xsd:integer .
>>>     Jane ex:age "25" .
>>>
>>>  then "25" and the rdfd:range assertion *together* denote the
>>>  value twenty-five. Yet still, "25" alone does not denote the
>>>  value twenty-five. There is no single node in the graph which
>>>  denotes the value twenty-five. The value remains implicit in
>>>  the datatype interpretation.
>>
>>  According to my understanding of the datatyping proposal, there is
>>  _nothing_ in this graph that denotes the value 25.  All that is required is
>>  that there exists some value, not necessarily denoted by anything in the
>>  graph, that is related to the string "25" by the datatype
>>  "xsd:integer".  (And according to our shared understanding of xsd:integer,
>>  that "some value" is 25.)

Right.

>I agree. I perhaps am using the word "denote" incorrectly here.
>
>The question is whether we need/want there always to be
>"something in the graph" to denote the value 25 when, based
>on our shared understanding, we know we're talking about
>the value 25.

I would say not. That is, there need not be anything in the graph
which denotes the value, the above being an example to illustrate
that conclusion.

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes