Re: Denotation of datatype values

On 2002-04-11 18:53, "ext Graham Klyne" <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
wrote:

> At 12:22 PM 4/11/02 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>> Now we add the range constraint on <age>
>>
>> <Jane> <age> "25" .
>> <film> <title> "25" .
>> <title> <range> <xsd:string> .
>> <age> <range> <xsd:integer> .
>>
>> We now have the film's title delivered as <xsd:string,"25"> the woman's age
>> delivered as <xsd:integer,"25"> and they are different.
>> Hence we see defeasible reasoning: in the light of new information we revise
>> our knowledge that Jane's age is <xsd:string,"25">, which in turn causes us
>> to revise our conclusion that Jane's age and the film's title are the same.
>
> My understanding of PatH's last proposal is that this graph is not
> satisfiable.  More precisely:
>
> [[[
> <Jane> <age> "25" .
> <age> <range> <xsd:integer> .
> ]]]
>
> is not satisfiable because "25" denotes a string and <xsd:integer> does not
> contain strings in its class extension.

This is true if <range> equates to rdfs:range. I presumed it
equated to rdfd:range, in which case, there is no problem.

It really will help, Jeremy, if you use the precise vocabulary
that we have come up with, especially if commenting on the current
WD, otherwise, we have no basis for mutual understanding. I know
that to some extent, you are trying not to beg the question by
keeping some terms somewhat ambiguous, but it makes it too hard
to know exactly what you mean. If you mean rdfs:range, please say so.
If you mean rdfd:range, again, just say so. etc. OK?

Cheers,