Re: Denotation of datatype values

At 12:22 PM 4/11/02 +0200, Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>Now we add the range constraint on <age>
>
><Jane> <age> "25" .
><film> <title> "25" .
><title> <range> <xsd:string> .
><age> <range> <xsd:integer> .
>
>We now have the film's title delivered as <xsd:string,"25"> the woman's age
>delivered as <xsd:integer,"25"> and they are different.
>Hence we see defeasible reasoning: in the light of new information we revise
>our knowledge that Jane's age is <xsd:string,"25">, which in turn causes us
>to revise our conclusion that Jane's age and the film's title are the same.

My understanding of PatH's last proposal is that this graph is not
satisfiable.  More precisely:

[[[
<Jane> <age> "25" .
<age> <range> <xsd:integer> .
]]]

is not satisfiable because "25" denotes a string and <xsd:integer> does not
contain strings in its class extension.

[BTW, I tried to find PatH's document for datatyping with tidy literals,
but it seems to have disappeared from the web ;-( ]

I broadly agree with the thrust of the rest of your message, as I
understand it.

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>