Re: Denotation of datatype values

At 10:19 AM 4/9/02 +0300, Patrick Stickler wrote:
>I.e. given only
>
>    Jane ex:age "25" .
>
>"25" alone does not denote the value twenty-five. But given
>
>    ex:age rdfd:range xsd:integer .
>    Jane ex:age "25" .
>
>then "25" and the rdfd:range assertion *together* denote the
>value twenty-five. Yet still, "25" alone does not denote the
>value twenty-five. There is no single node in the graph which
>denotes the value twenty-five. The value remains implicit in
>the datatype interpretation.

According to my understanding of the datatyping proposal, there is
_nothing_ in this graph that denotes the value 25.  All that is required is
that there exists some value, not necessarily denoted by anything in the
graph, that is related to the string "25" by the datatype
"xsd:integer".  (And according to our shared understanding of xsd:integer,
that "some value" is 25.)

#g

Graham Klyne
<GK@NineByNine.org>