Re: PRIMER: v 0.1 of scope, outline and issues (lighten up!)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:29:44 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 09:42 AM 9/26/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>I agree, lets avoid abstractions as far as possible at the
>>beginning of everything. Start with an example, would be better, as
>>a way to introduce the points being made. Can we cook up a simple,
>>artificial but convincing example/case study to use to illustrate
>>the main points? It ought to show RDF doing more than XML would do
>>:-)
>
>I think that would have to be at least two examples.
>
>It is my view that the value of RDF is that it allows
>data/information to be shared between applications, and ultimately
>for some kinds of processing to be handled by generic software
>systems.
>
>So, I think the value to be demonstrated is when a new application
>is introduced that relevant data created by existing applications is
>accessible to the new application, and vice  versa.
>
>TimBL once gave an example of an invoice for aircraft parts;  some
>elements would be details of commercial transactions, generated by a
>sales/order processing system, while others would be related to the
>technical bill of materials for an aircraft, generated by
>engineering CAD software.

BTW, one thing that we ought to be able to do now is show an example
where some/one/thing is able to figure out that two classes are
identical by showing that each is a subclass of the other :-)

Pat
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes