Re: PRIMER: v 0.1 of scope, outline and issues (lighten up!)

From: Martyn Horner <martyn.horner@profium.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:00:09 +0200
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
CC: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
Pat Hayes wrote:

> >2.  In Section 1, I think we want to make sure that people see the
> >motivation for RDF somewhat independently of the "Semantic Web" (the
> >"S word" sometimes turns people off, I find).  That is, we need
> >something like RDF for various practical reasons, which happen also
> >to be the motivation for "the Semantic Web".
>
> I agree, lets avoid abstractions as far as possible at the beginning
> of everything. Start with an example, would be better, as a way to
> introduce the points being made. Can we cook up a simple, artificial
> but convincing example/case study to use to illustrate the main
> points? It ought to show RDF doing more than XML would do :-)
>
> Pat
> --
> IHMC                                    (850)434 8903   home
> 40 South Alcaniz St.                    (850)202 4416   office
> Pensacola,  FL 32501                    (850)202 4440   fax
> phayes@ai.uwf.edu
> http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes

The temptation to do a commercial is hard to resist. Profium's main
product is an RDF-based routing engine. It uses available RDF sources to
divert content to where it's required. It's RDF-based, it's working now
and it's not directly part of the Semantic Web movement...

But there again you don't necessarily want a commercial.

I have managed to describe the application without too much of a sales
pitch in the past. I could do it again.

--
Martyn Horner <martyn.horner@profium.com>
Profium, Les Espaces de Sophia,