Ampersand Test Case Description (was: 2001-09-21 Minutes)

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 17:41:16 -0500
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
To: Art Barstow <barstow@w3.org>
>> You write that the ampersand is replaced by its numerical value,
>> but it is not -- it is replaced with the string '&amp;'.
> That wasn't my intent.  I added the following text to the
> test case:

Then I don't understand what you mean in this paragraph.

> [[
>  how XML's Predefined Entities - in this case the ampersand -
>  is escaped when it is used in the value of an rdf:about
>  attribute. Note that the ampersand is represented by its
>  numeric value as specified in:
>
>  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-predefined-ent
>
>  In the associated N-Triples file the numeric value of the
>  ampersand will be replaced with single ampersand character.
>  Note: when a XML/HTML browser is used to display this file, the
>  ampersand may be displayed and not its numeric value.
> ]]
>
>> Please
>> correct this. As it stands now it is even more confusing than
>> before. :-(
>
> Anyhow, specific word changes would be helpful.

I'd be happy to provide:

  reserved characters in XML - in this case the ampersand -
  are escaped when they are used in an RDF document.
  Note that the ampersand is represented by its
  corresponding entity as specified in:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#sec-predefined-ent

  In the associated N-Triples file the encoded ampersand entity
  will be replaced with a single ampersand character.
  Note: when a XML/HTML browser is used to display this file, the
  ampersand may be displayed instead of the '&amp;amp;' entity.