Re: A proposal for entailment tests

From: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2001 09:42:07 +0100
To: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com
Cc: phayes@ai.uwf.edu, w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
At 01:14 AM 9/22/01 +0100, jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com wrote:
>We describe an RDF/RDFS entailment test in RDF (a matter
>of eating your own dogfood) so that they have a precise
>and machine understandable description
>e.g.
>   [ tc:graph g1, g2, g3 ] tc:entailrdf [ tc:graph g4 ].
>describes the RDF entailment of the graph g4 given the
>graphs g1, g2 and g3
>and
>   [ tc:graph g1, g2, g3 ] tc:rdfsentail [ tc:graph g4 ].
>describes the RDFS entailment of the graph g4 given the
>graphs g1, g2, g3 and the rules in [2].
>
><comment>
>   tc: is a namespace prefix for a testcase schema
>   gi is a uriref of a .rdf or .nt testcase graph
>   we can write that straightforward in N-triples
></comment>

I like the general approach here, but would like to see the MT distinction
maintained between RDF entailment and schema closure.  Maybe using
something like:

   [ tc:graph g1, g2, g3 ] tc:entailrdf [ tc:graph g4 ] .

   [ tc:graph g1, g2, g3 ] tc:merge [ tc:graph g4 ] .

   [ tc:graph g1 ] tc:schemaClosure [ tc:graph g2 ] .

?

Then RDFS entailment might be described as something like:

   [ tc:graph g1, g2, g3 ] tc:merge [ tc:graph g4 ] .
   [ tc:graph g4 ] tc:schemaClosure [ tc:graph g5 ] .
   [ tc:graph g5 ] tc:entailrdf [ tc:graph g6 ] .

where satisfying values for g6 are exactly what is s-entailed by { g1 g2 g3 }.

<Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>