Re: URI terminology demystified (I18N details)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 17:04:36 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

> FWIW, I'm having a separate discussion with Martin Duerst about this issue
> with respect to CC/PP (an application of RDF);  Martin seems to think the
> XML system identifier rules should apply to URI values in RDF -- I'm
> pressing for clarity about why this is so, given that URIs per se cannot
> contain non-US-ASCII characters.

I think this is a no-brainer from an internationalization point of view.

When a non-English speaker wishes to write a meaningful rdf:about or
rdf:ID value then they will use non-US ASCII characters.

Since URIs are US ASCII somewhere someone has to do the conversion, and
the %HH encoding of UTF-8 is the correct conversion to do.

It is necessary for a spec to say who does the conversion, and given
that RDF/XML is meant to be (barely) end user readable, it should be in
their language. Hence the RDF/XML processor needs to do the conversion.

Jeremy