RDF IDs, N-Triples URI encoding (was Re: URI terminology demystified)

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 14:29:54 +0100
To: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>>>Jeremy Carroll said:

> I also note that this is consistent with our test case:
> http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about/test2.nt
> http://www.w3.org/2000/10/rdf-tests/rdfcore/rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about/test2.rdf
> which has not been approved, seems to suggest the following
> 1: ID's are subject to the same URI encoding rule.

Note that at present, RDF ID attributes are not XML IDs.  RDF M&S
uses a production from XML's original syntax, but does not say that
the IDs have the same meaning as XML.  There are also some words I
think about ID creating a resource in M&S - which I think has been
discussed previously (can't find them just now).

I noted this as an issue near

> 2: N-triple URIs are in US-ASCII and must be already encoded.

The encoding of URIs in N-Triples must change to match the Charmod
requirements, see the discussion on www-rdf-comments starting at
and subsequent responses by me.