absolute-URIs-with-optional-fragmenmt-identifiers

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 10:44:56 +0100
To: RDF core WG <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Now this messy topic is on the table, I have a proposal:

DEFINE

URI-view to be an absolute URI with an optional fragment identifier,
and use this term in relevant RDF documents.  Thus, augmenting the
syntax productions from RFC2396, we have:

   URI-view = absoluteURI [ '#' fragment ]

RATIONALE (for "URI-view")

1. URI-view is short, hence easy to write.

2. URI-view is easy to speak.

3. The term URI-view is not currently used for any conflicting purpose (to
my knowledge).

4. In http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Model.html and
    http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/Fragment.html, TimBl describes the fragment
    identifier as identifying a "view" or "part" within a document.

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)