Re: what to call the nodes formerly know as

>I *am* getting confused.  This seems to say that we'll talk about
>"unlabelled" nodes in the prose, and these nodes will have "bNode
>identifiers" in Ntriples documents?  But a "bNode identifier" sounds
>like "an identifier that identifies a bNode",

Ah, that is unfortunate and not what I intended. Would it be better
to say 'bNode expression'? I meant, a string of the form '_:foo' in
an N-triples document, ie a string that an N-triples processor would
put into the syntactic category 'bNode'.

>but we no longer have
>"bNodes"(?)

No, we still have the things which are called bNodes in N-triples,
i.e. RDF nodes without any label. And we still have the string
"bNode" , but it's in the N-triples syntax.

>  Also, in concentrating on the graph, we seem to have lost
>the connection to resources.  I.e., we now talk about "nodes" with
>"labels" rather than "resources" with URIs (identifiers), at least in
>the case of resources that have them, and that we want to describe using
>RDF.  Is there still an actual connection here (just wondering)?

I thought that connection is what the model theory was all about. Its
the mapping from URIs to their denotations.

>--Frank

OK, let me try to say my own world-model here so that people can
throw rocks at it.

1. RDF graphs are graphs, and that's what they are. They aren't
N-triples documents or anything like that.
2. RDF graphs have nodes and arcs, which are just 'blank'
mathematical entities, but some of them (all the arcs) are labeled.
The labels *are* URIs and literals.
3. Nodes without labels are unlabeled, just as a matter of English
grammar, without introducing any special terminology, so to refer to
a node as unlabeled is not using any special terminology and
shouldn't require any special explanation. "Unlabeled" here is simply
an adjective, not a category name.
4. Resources are what the URIs refer to. The URIs are pieces of text,
but the resources can be anything. An RDF graph describes
relationships between resources.
(4a. They can be pieces of text, of course, so a URI is also a
resource, just like anything else, but that's irrelevant to the
connection between URIs and resources, since we aren't considering
reification for the present.)
5. N-triples is a formal language which describes or specifies RDF
graphs in a particular way.
6. An N-triples document uses particular classes of expressions in
its syntax to refer to the nodes of the RDF graph it describes. These
classes of formal N-triples expressions have names which, in the
usual way, are used in the BNF for N-triples, and they are 'uriref',
'bNode', and 'literal'.
(6a. I take it that any literal is also a 'literal' in the N-triples
syntax, which is why it is OK to use the same name. I gather that
urirefs are URIs as well. I am unclear why N-triples refers to URIs
by a different name, but it does, and I'm just following along here.)
7. So, to amplify the point, a bNode identifier/expression/whatever
is a piece of N-triples syntax which is meaningful only in N-triples,
and is used there to refer to a node in an RDF graph which does not
have a label.
8. While it is reasonable to say that a bNode
identifier/expression/whatever refers to a bNode,  'bNode' is not an
English word; and it is also perfectly correct to say that a bNode
identifier/expression/whatever refers to an unlabeled node.
9. The relationship between N-triples syntax and RDF graphs is kind
of obvious, but actually a little tricky to state exactly. Each
identifier/expression/whatever indicates a unique node, and urirefs
and literals *are* the labels of the nodes they indicate, but bNode
identifier/expression/whatevers are not. Each triple indicates a
unique arc, and the uriref in the property position of the triple is
the label of that arc, but arc labels need not be unique. (This
assumes that urirefs *are* URIs. If not, this has to say that the
label in the graph is the URI corresponding to the uriref
identifier/expression/whatever.)
10. While for urirefs and literals, the unique-node-labelling
convention makes it easy to simply identify the N-triples syntax
class with the RDF graph label with the RDF graph node, that easy
blurring breaks down for anonymous nodes. So it makes sense for the
'labels' used in N-triples to refer to unlabeled nodes should be
given a special, distinctive, name, to emphasize that they are NOT
labels in the same sense. It is good practice to use a technical term
that could not possibly be confused with any English word, hence
'bNode' is better than 'anonNode'.

When I asked the question that led to the DECISION quoted below, I
was intending to ask a question about the terminology used in the
formal specification of the N-triples syntax, since the N-triples
document cited in the MT document at that time used the term
'anonNode' in its BNF.

Hope this helps.

Pat