Re: rdfs:Literal question

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@upclink.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:32:59 -0500
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
On Monday, September 17, 2001, at 03:23  PM, Pat Hayes wrote:

> But that's syntactically illegal. In fact it is impossible to
> say that literal has any properties in RDF, so why do we have a
> class in RDFS of things that we aren't allowed to say are in a
> class?

Not sure if this sheds light, but danbri is fond of quoting this
from the schema spec:

[[[
Although the RDF data model does not allow for explicit
properties (such as an rdf:type property) to be ascribed to
Literals (atomic values), we nevertheless consider these
entities to be members of classes (e.g., the string "John Smith"
is considered to be a member of the class rdfs:Literal.)

Note: We expect future work in RDF and XML data-typing to
provide clarifications in this area.
]]]

I think this is a bit of a kludge.