rdfs:Literal question

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 15:23:40 -0500
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
A question.

RDFS has a class named rdfs:Literal. Presumably this is supposed to
be the class of all literal values, right? So it ought to be the case
that for any literal LLL, this would be true:

LLL rdf:type rdfs:Literal .

But that's syntactically illegal. In fact it is impossible to say
that literal has any properties in RDF, so why do we have a class in
RDFS of things that we aren't allowed to say are in a class?

(This came up when I was trying to characterize valid inference in
RDFS, by the way. Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I've
only just noticed it.)

Pat Hayes
IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes