Re: 2001-09-07#5 - literal problem

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:46:47 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

Graham wrote:
> I must confess I'm not very clear what this means.

I should clarify (or at least try to :) ).

The old spec M&S seems to be deliberately vague about precisely which
triple is generated by say:

<rdf:Description>
  <rdf:value rdf:parseType="Literal"><foo/></rdf:value>
</rdf:Description>

My reading is that it permits

_:anon <rdf:value> "<foo/>" .

and

:anon <rdf:value> "<foo></foo>" .

and

_:anon <rdf:value> "<foo />" .

and

_:anon <rdf:value> "<foo  />" .

etc.

In general, for each feature identify as not in the infoset in XML
Infoset, I think it is plausible to make examples where the old spec is
deliberately ambiguous as to what the triple should be.

Another example, (less silly)

<rdf:Description>
  <rdf:value rdf:parseType="Literal"><foo a="a" b="b"/></rdf:value>
</rdf:Description>

My reading is that it permits

_:anon <rdf:value> "<foo a='a' b='b'/>" .

and

_:anon <rdf:value> "<foo b='b' a='a'/>" .

Either we decide to continue this deliberate ambiguity, or we decide to
resolve it.
This is the question I was raising.

The old spec is also quiet about XML comments, XML processing
instructions, XML namespaces, and references.

Maybe that was wise, maybe it was foolish.

Jeremy