Re: completion of action: 2001-07-27#2 (long) (use/mention in reification)

From: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2001 12:06:12 -0700
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>pat hayes wrote:

> > >That's what you'd think, coming from a logic background, but
> > >as Brian points out, RDF says the subject of
> > >       Mary hit the ball.
> > >
> > >is a female person, not a word starting with 'M'.
> > >
> > >This is mother of all use/mention bugs, IMO.
> > >
> > >cf
> >
> > Indeed. If we have to take this seriously then I withdraw the model
> > theory, since it can't possibly work.
>
>You mean the reification part of the model theory, right?
>
>The rest is fine.

No, I meant it all.  But I spoke hastily. I guess anything can be a
symbol, so maybe my mother  *could* be in a grammar. However, it
wouldn't be a grammar that could be described in BNF (since she - my
mother, that is - is at least three-dimensional, and BNF only
describes one-dimensional structures, ie strings.) Also, I would bet
that anyone would have a hell of a time getting my mother to stay in
an RDF graph for any length of time: she would have it vacuumed and
dusted before you would have time to even parse it.

Pat

> > Such a beastie, consisting of
> > triples of real things, isn't even a language, so it can't have a
> > semantics. (It also cannot have a grammar, by the way, since BNF only
> > refers to strings of symbols, and my mother isn't a symbol.)
>
>--
>Dan Connolly, W3C http://www.w3.org/People/Connolly/

(650)859 6569 w
(650)494 3973 h (until September)