Re: ACTION 2001-08-24#9 : issues with containers

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 17:04:36 +0100 (BST)
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
cc: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Again, suppose the graph had a Bag rather than an Alt:
>       <doc1> <dc:creator> _:a .
>       _:a <rdf:type> <rdf:Bag> .
>       _:a <rdf:_1> <jan> .
>       _:a <rdf:_2> <dan> .

I don't consider the two to be interchangable. Why? Compare

"The students in course 6.001 are Amy, Tim, John, Mary, and Sue."
It seems here that the collection itself is truly considered the value
of a property, whereas...

	http://ioctl.org/rdf/ms/rdfms#111  (and #112)
"Here, any one of the items listed in the container value for
DistributionSite is an acceptable value without regard to the other

In other words, the Alt-collection itself isn't really being considered
the value of the property; the members of the Alt are being considered
so instead.*

> We don't license the inference that
> 	<doc1> <dc:creator> <jan>.
> in that case, do we? No. Then why should rdf:Alt have any magic
> associated with it?

Because clearly they don't behave in the same way, so the analogy isn't

I'd rather see Alt go away - the examples in M+S are vague and subject
to this kind of confusion.

* although there are two kinds of alternative notion: the one in this
example is "this is true for ever member of the Alt, just pick one" (so
why isn't it just a bag?) as opposed to "this is true for at least one
member of the alt" - which is where you need some MT support (I think).

HP-unix: Open Sauce product, available in 57 distributions.