Re: ACTION 2001-08-24#9 : issues with containers

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 14:58:58 +0100 (BST)
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
cc: pat hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, Brian McBride wrote:

> Pat,
>
> - sans chapeau
>
> I'd like to suggest that ALT does need special treatment in the model theory.
>
> At the beginning of M&S 3.1 it says:
>
>   Alternative   A list of resources or literals that represent alternatives
>                 for the (single) value of a property. Alternative might be
>                 used to provide alternative language translations for the
>                 title of a work, or to provide a list of Internet mirror
>                 sites at which a resource might be found. An application
>                 using a property whose value is an Alternative collection
>                 is aware that it can choose any one of the items in the list
>                 as appropriate
>
> If a resource has two titles, one in French and the other in English, then
> both are the titles of the work, i.e. conjunctive.  An application however,
> may choose to display only one.
>
> If software can be downloaded from several mirror sites, then that software
> can be downloaded from all them, not just one of them, i.e. again conjunctive.
> The idea that this example meant to express the idea that one of these sites
> has the software, you can go try them to figure out which one seems a little
> far fetched.
>
> I suggest DanC is right here; the use of ALT is a hint to an application
> about how it might process this information.

While I have held, in principle, what I'd characterise as DanC's opinion
here (or the more extreme version: "alt is totally broken") - that is,
that an app can infer what it likes, an alt-unaware MT is going to
produce an odd semantics for something like

     <doc1> <dc:creator> _:a .
     _:a <rdf:type> <rdf:Alt> .
     _:a <rdf:_1> <jan> .
     _:a <rdf:_2> <dan> .

("doc1 was written by either jan or dan") - I don't see how you can
ignore alt in the MT and get this interpretation, no matter how you go
about it.

If it's broken really badly - don't fix it either.