Reject change to rdf:value (was Re: Comments to item 11 of agenda for RDFCore WG Telecon 2001-10-26)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 16:29:44 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>As I won't be there, can I request that a reference to this message
>be entered into the IRC log of the meeting, for the record?
>>11: Postpone syntax issues
>>The aim here is to quickly resolve those issues for which there is
>>clear concensus.  If extended discussion is needed, we will
>>postpone the decision.
>>Propose the WG RESOLVE that the following issues be postponed for
>>consideration by a future WG
>>   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-quoting
>>   http://www.w3.org/2000/03/rdf-tracking/#rdfms-replace-value
>[I missed this when it was raised]  I like this proposal, as it
>makes much more intuitive sense to me, and leverages existing
>developer understanding of toString() in existing programming
>languages.  Assuming it's consistent with any decisions about
>datatyping, I think there would be value to our current charter in
>adopting this.
>To deal with backward compatibility, I'd suggest that rdf:value be
>retained as a "deprecated" form, equivalent to rdf:toString, which
>becomes the preferred form.
>Thus, my vote is AGAINST deciding to defer this issue to a new WG at
>this time.  I think the proposal should be accepted or rejected by
>this WG.

If it is being considered, then I vote to REJECT it, for reasons that
I hope will become clear when I get the MT datatyping document
finished. (Basically, the appropriate interpretation of rdf:value in
the new MT is that it is simply identity, and the 'toString' name is
then actively misleading. This view of the meaning of rdf:value has
built into it a view about datatyping that I want to argue against,
basically one which assumes that all literals occurrences are
strings.  I think that it only makes intuitive sense if one agrees to
read all literals as referring to themselves, which, I will argue,
embodies a use/mention confusion which is neither semantically
productive nor necessary.)

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax