Re: PRIMER: some text on striping - useful?

From: Art Barstow <barstow@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 08:15:35 -0400
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
On Wed, Oct 24, 2001 at 07:29:05AM -0400, Dan Brickley wrote:

> I wrote something on RDF's "striped" syntax last week, after realising
> that the notion of it being striped was what helped me "get it"
> originally. Not sure if it makes sense for the primer, but here it is
> anyway: http://www.w3.org/2001/10/stripes/

This is a very nice introduction to RDF/XML syntax for folks
already familiar with XML.  I'm not aware of a ToC for the Primer
but this information seems like this would be a good addition.

A few suggestions below.

Art
---

o The RDF/XML code has a bug in the RDF namespace declaration.
 It should be:

 <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#">
 not:
 <rdf:RDF xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/rdf-syntax-ns#">

 As is, it generates 0 triples.

 [It would also be very nice if the code fragment had a URI so
 it could easily be dropped into a RDF validator.]

o The numbers in the genids:* strings for the table and ntriples
 are not in sync and really should be to avoid confustion.  [This
 probably occured because the RDF fed to the RDF Validator twice and
 thus the different genid.]

o I would explicitly highlight that a default namespace declaration
 is being used thus the element names are not namespace-qualified
 in this example.  The point being that all XML elements must have
 a namespace [explicit or implicit].  Likewise, every attribute in
 RDF/XML must have a namespace.

o I think I would add some text about what the rdf:type properties
 are and why they are added to the triples.