Re: Closing rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:37:06 -0500
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 11:18 PM 10/23/01 -0500, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>>Can we extend the notion of a tidy graph so that it removes
>>>duplicate statements.  Any untidy graph has an equivalent tidy
>>>graph, and the model theory is defined in terms of that.
>>Yes, we can do that. Everyone go on that?
>I think so, but a fleeting worry about literals crossed my mind:
>    ex:subj ex:prop "lit" .
>    ex:subj ex:prop "lit" .
>I can't see any actual problem here, but at some stage there seemed
>to be this idea that different instances of a literal were distinct
>things in the abstract syntax;  e.g. so that things like:
>    ex:shoe shoe:size "10" .
>    ex:shoe shoe:label "10" .
>could be interpreted appropriately.
>Just checking.

Yes, good point. However I think that the only way that two tokens of
a  literal could possibly need to be distinguished would be if they
were somewhere, somehow, included in two different triples, in any
datatyping scheme.  Otherwise you could co-data-type them without
causing any contradictions with anything else. So this would be safe
even in this case.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax