RE: SYNTAX: RDF Syntax Telecon Friday

From: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:06:14 +0100 (BST)
To: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Pat Hayes wrote:

> >I've just begun hacking around with an intermediate form that relies on
> >the fact that in RDF/XML, the only anonymous nodes that can be involved
> >in a statement are the most recent two encountered, modulo the pushing
> >and popping of subelements (ie, it follows the nesting of elements).
>
> That is a very neat observation. Is this the reason why RDF/XML
> cannot serialize an arbitrary graph?

Umm, I think I'd classify it as just another consequence of the
particular tree structure, not more fundamental than that. The real
reason is that there's no local identifier attached to a bnode* in a
serialisation.

Anyway, this all sprang from a rather disastrous foray into XSLT on my
part; unfortunately, when someone asserts that a language "is Turing
complete" I tend to produce code that resembles a state machine with a
huuuge tape.

jan

* I think that's the right term, modulo insertion of "the representation
of" in the right places.

Strive to live every day as though it was last Wednesday.