Re: Properties not predicates (was Re: PRIMER: draft data model section)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:37:00 -0500
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Just checking we are clear what is being renamed.

Well, I thought I was clear, but now I am completely confused.

>  M&S uses the term predicate for a component of a statement.

That means a triple, right? Or a [node/edge/node] combination in an
RDF graph. Or does 'statement' mean something else? Right now, as I
understand it, there are triples in Ntriples,  pieces of graph in the
graph syntax, and more complicated pieces of syntax in RDF/XML. Which
of these is called a statement?

>  Thus a statement has three components:
>    a subject
>    a predicate
>    an object
>The subject must (debatably) be a resource

I thought the subject (being a piece of syntax) was a [node labelled
with a] uriref.

>The predicate must be a property

Which of these terms refers to a syntax class and which to something
else? (And I thought the syntactic thingie in the middle of a triple
was a uriref, in any case.)

>The object may be a resource or a literal.

uriref or literal, I presume. Or did you mean 'resource or literal value'?

>The terms predicate and property in M&S mean different things.

But you just said that the predicate WAS a property. If they are the
same, how can they be different?

>Are we losing the distinction, or is this distinction just no longer

What distinction???

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax