Re: Properties not predicates (was Re: PRIMER: draft data model section)

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:37:00 -0500
To: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Just checking we are clear what is being renamed.

Well, I thought I was clear, but now I am completely confused.

>  M&S uses the term predicate for a component of a statement.

That means a triple, right? Or a [node/edge/node] combination in an
RDF graph. Or does 'statement' mean something else? Right now, as I
understand it, there are triples in Ntriples,  pieces of graph in the
graph syntax, and more complicated pieces of syntax in RDF/XML. Which
of these is called a statement?

>  Thus a statement has three components:
>
>    a subject
>    a predicate
>    an object
>
>The subject must (debatably) be a resource

I thought the subject (being a piece of syntax) was a [node labelled
with a] uriref.

>The predicate must be a property

Which of these terms refers to a syntax class and which to something
else? (And I thought the syntactic thingie in the middle of a triple
was a uriref, in any case.)

>The object may be a resource or a literal.

uriref or literal, I presume. Or did you mean 'resource or literal value'?

>The terms predicate and property in M&S mean different things.

But you just said that the predicate WAS a property. If they are the
same, how can they be different?

>Are we losing the distinction, or is this distinction just no longer
>applicable.

What distinction???

Pat

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax
phayes@ai.uwf.edu
http://www.coginst.uwf.edu/~phayes