Re: interpetation properties 2

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 18:48:15 -0500
To: jos.deroo.jd@belgium.agfa.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Pat, you remember the test case given in "interpretation properties" i.e.
>   <http://www.w3.org/> <http://example.org/play#xml-cannonicalized> _:bNode1 .
>   _:bNode1 <http://example.org/enc#hash-sha-1> _:bNode2 .
>   _:bNode2 <http://example.org/enc#base64> "jd8734djr08347jyd4" .
>Another testcase is
>   <http://example.org/play#poleq1> <http://example.org/play#root> _:bNode1 .
>   _:bNode1 <http://example.org/complex-number#real-part> _:bNode2 .
>   _:bNode2 <http://example.org/enc#IEEE-754> "3" .
>   _:bNode1 <http://example.org/complex-number#imaginary-part> _bNode3 .
>   _:bNode3 <http://example.org/enc#IEEE-754> "4" .
>So I think one could always *describe* the real/abstract
>things and "4" is *not* the floating point number 4 ...
>the node with label _:bNode3 is standing for that 4 and
>   <http://example.org/enc#IEEE-754> "4"
>is a means to that end and not an end in its own :-)

Right, you can do it that way. But see
which I think (I need to check your "nesting" cases) shows that it is
also possible to use the other reading, as long as you have enough
information in the graph *somewhere* to somehow fix the appropriate
data type to use. (And if you don't then all bets are off anyway.)

>So I still think the "" delimited thing is just a string
>and I also don't think there will be a shortage of bNodes :-)

There is no shortage of Lego bricks, either.

>Also the "nesting" capability shown in the first testcase
>is an interesting feature, isn't it?

Indeed it is, and I need to think about it harder over dinner.

PS real and imaginary parts of complex numbers seems to me to be a
very good motivating example for allowing literals to be subjects, by
the way. I would like to be able to write

http://example.org/complex-number#imaginary-part rdfs:range xmds:real-number
http://example.org/complex-number#imaginary-part rdfs:domain
"13.6i20.4" http://example.org/complex-number#imaginary-part "13.6"

and be referring to numbers (not strings) everywhere.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax