Re: literals must be self-evident

From: Bill de hOra <bdehora@interx.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 15:11:10 +0100
To: <w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org>
Dan Connolly:

This may have some uses in a programming language such as
Java[Java], but it has a serious flaw in that when one module
changes (without the knowledge of the designers of the other
module), it can unwittingly redefine a local identifier used by the
second module, completely changing the meaning of a previously
written document. Clearly, in the Web world in which modules
evolve but documents must have clearly defined meanings, this is
unacceptable.

Hi Dan,

In programming/OO terms I think you're talking along the lines of the
Liskov substitution principle, but I'm not sure. Can you give a quick
example?

regards,
Bill

..