Re: Closing rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about (was: RDFCore WG minutes for the telecon 2001-10-12)

From: Jeremy Carroll <jjc@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 09:35:40 +0100
To: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org

> Ahh, I'd not been following recent syntax threads too carefully.
> Indeed the document[1] reads:

> """
> rdfms-difference-between-ID-and-about
> What is the difference between using and ID attribute to
> 'create' a new resource and an about attribute to refer to it?
> Action: rdf:ID="attr" is an abbreviation for rdf:about="#attr"
> and the handling of rdf:ID has been[will be] updated to show
> this.
> """

> """
> Usage of an rdf:ID attribute to identify the subject of a
> description, is equivalent to usage of an rdf:about attribute
> with the the '#' character followed by the URI-encoded form of
> the content rdf:ID attribute.
> """

Dave's text is currently neutral vis-a-vis internationalized URI's.
Aaron's text takes a URI-ref to be precisely a US-ASCII URI ala RFC

I owe the group some work on internationalization, but currently am of
the opinion that we should allow internationalized URIs wherever we
allow uri-references; these being resolved into US-ASCII URIs ala RFC
2396 (as modified by RFC 2732) at the same time as relative URI's are
resolved, using the standard algorithm.