Re: ACTION 2001-10-12#5: frankm respond to gk text

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 23:56:37 -0500
To: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>Pat Hayes wrote:
>>  [...]
>>  > Frank Manola wrote:
>>  > [...]
>>  >[2.] If so, should they be clearly distinguishable as parser
>>generated URI's?
>>  >  -- Stricly speaking, the parser is not required to generate URIs.
>>  >The parser *is* required to generate local names (that are not URIs)
>>  >for anonymous resources. These names *are* distinguishable from URIs.
>>  What exactly is 'the parser' here? (Parser of what?) If the parser is
>>  parsing an Ntriples document, then the bNode ids are in the document
>>  already and nothing needs to be generated.
>Not quite... If an Ntriple document contains bNode _x the parser must
>generate different internal ids for _x each time the document is parsed,

Nope. Oh, well, wait a minute. I guess Im not quite sure what exactly
a parser for Ntriples is supposed to be doing. If it is constructing
a graph then it doesnt need to generate anything. If however one is
using the Ntriples as a primary notation to support inference, then
yes, it will have to take some care to standardize nodeIDs apart from
any nodeIDs from *other* documents. But strictly speaking it isn't
*necessary* to generate new names to do this; renaming is just one
technique for avoiding name clashes.

>  > If the parser is dealing
>>  directly with the graph syntax, then there is no need for the bNode
>>  labels at all, and nothing needs to be generated. If the parser is
>>  reading RDF/XML and constructing a graph, no new names need to be
>>  generated.
>Again, some sort of internal ids (objects, or other data structures)
>still need to be generated...

That's internal to the graph representation code, though, not part of the RDF.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax