Re: Comments on ioctl (was: Re: big issue (2001-09-28#13))

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 20:00:13 -0500
To: Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>On Fri, 5 Oct 2001, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>  >I've been thinking along very similar lines. See
>>  >http://ioctl.org/rdf/literals
>>  >which has a mix of related ideas, some good, some bad, some wrong.
>>  Let me pick up on one of them and chew on it: the idea that a literal
>>  is a self-denoting entity. This is a very appealing idea, and it
>>  works for strings, but I don't think it can be made to work (without
>>  modification) for any other kinds of literal.  In particular, one of
>>  your examples is 'the number 12'. But numbers are denoted by
>>  numerals, not numbers; numerals, not numbers, are the syntactic
>>  labels that we use to label graph nodes. So I take it that the
>>  intention in treating '12' as a "literal number" is in fact that the
>>  *numeral* '12' is the literal, and that its interpretation is fixed
>>  to be the number 12 (that is, the number whose prime factors are 2,2
>>  and 3; the square root of 144; denoted variously by the numerals '12'
>>  in decimal, '1100' in binary, and '14' in octal). But in none of
>>  these cases is the numerical literal *identical* to its
>>  interpretation.
>Actually, I had a stronger notion, which was that conceptually, the
>number (not a numeral representation) should be the "label" in a graph.

Ah, that is a nice idea. It has some odd consequences, though. Graphs
with number labels cannot be stored inside computers, send over
packet-switched networks, printed, etc... They have to be Platonic
graphs, not data structures. And why stop at numbers? ;-)

>	(Forgive an argument by analogy, but
>	We accept concepts like "the set { 1, 2, 3 }" which is
>	conceptually a set of numbers, not numerals)
>So it really _is_ the number 1 labelling a node in the graph.
>However, any concrete realisation of such an RDF graph must, of course,
>use a representation (be it numeral or otherwise); this is true whether
>it's an "RDF database" or an "RDF/XML serialisation". If it makes any
>sense, I'd like to separate the two notions.

Hmm. That gives us an extra layer of representation, which I find
clunky. There is the lexicalisation which encodes the
graph-in-the-machine which represents the abstract graph which
describes the interpretation....

>Talk is cheap: free, as in beer. As in Real Ale, not that Budweiser rubbish.

I am proud to tell you that here in Pensacola, not half a mile from
my house, is McGuires, the first micro-brewery in the US and still
the maker of the best Red, Irish Pale Ale and stout you will find
within 3000 miles.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax