Re: Proposal to drop S from consideration

Yes. http://ioctl.org/rdf/java/RDF.tar.gz is a fairly old snapshot.

> Applications on top of RDF parsers that know about dc:date
> take the string and do date stuff with it. But not
> the RDF parser itself.

You seem to have jumped tracks somewhere in this argument. RDF Software
<> RDF Parser.

> > I think
> > that most folks expect the data content of such a property
> > element to correspond to a value in a value space, and that
> > the data content literal correlates to a lexical form, not a
> > string.
>
> I see that as a misunderstanding of RDF 1.0's expressive
> capabilities.

...which is the way I've read the RDF spec since 1998 or so :-)

> > > You see S as a change? I don't. It's the way I've read
> > > the RDF spec since 1997 or so.

> I see S as a straightforward layer atop RDF 1.0.

For what it's worth, I'm coming round to the "would really rather not
live with S"* point of view.

I'd rather see P++/U' than P/U (where U' doesn't actually do gnarly
things with URIs, but still has the low-level typed data of U).

jan

* As a antive Englishman, consider this to be an the strongest
expression in this regard I'm prepared to make.

Don't annihilate, assimilate: MacDonalds, not missiles.