Re: Answer to the question: What is a "value" to RDF

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:37:18 -0600
To: Graham Klyne <Graham.Klyne@MIMEsweeper.com>
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>At 12:41 PM 11/16/01 -0600, Pat Hayes wrote:
>>>I'd like to consider a simple example:
>>>     ex:foo ex:property "10" .
>>>     ex:property rdfs:range xsd:integer .
>>>Can this be legitimate?
>>In S, I don't think so, since xsd:integer has to be a property
>>rather than a class.
>>Even if we allow it to be used in both ways at once, I cannot see
>>any way in which range information on the asserting property (ie
>>the property that occurs in the triple which has the bNode as
>>object in the S idiom) can possibly constrain the datatype used in
>>the second triple (the one that has the bNode as subject and the
>>literal as object.), or indeed even have any interaction with it.
>>The triple
>>_:x xsd:integer "10" .
>>can be, at best, only constrained to be false by a class
>>restriction of the form
>>_:x rdf:type <someClass> .
>>It cannot be forced to be true.
>I think I didn't state my query clearly enough.  The above example
>is exactly the case I wanted to test (because I think it corresponds
>to some current usage).  But I was not clear that the xsd:integer is
>*not* intended to be the property used in the S scheme to indicate
>an integer value.
>Consider this slightly enlarged example:
>     ex:foo ex:property "10" .
>     ex:property rdfs:range xsd:integer .
>     ex:foo s:property _:a .
>     _:a s:inDecimal "10" .
>where it is the node labeled _:a that denotes the integer value 10.
>(This entails the smaller example above, right?)
>I think it *can* be legimitate if the xsd:... URIs are considered to
>be RDF class names whose value space is strings that conform to the
>corresponding xsd:... lexical space.  In this interpretation, the
>xsd:... URIs would not be used to label properties;  some other
>label would be required for that (s:property and s:inDecimal in the
>above example).

OK, but than that is yet *another* suggestion, which we should maybe
call G, which is somewhat like the DC suggestion. My problem with G
is, what establishes the connection between the lexical class
xsd:integer and the 'connecting' property s:inDecimal ?

>>>  If so, what can we say about it?
>>>Could we, for example, allow rdf:type values like xsd:integer to
>>>be subclasses of rdfs:literal, so that the members of the value
>>>space are still just strings, but having a restricted lexical form?
>>But that would not specify the datatype, since "10" might be a
>>decimal or a binary or an octal or whatever.
>I agree that it wouldn't specify the datatype of the value denoted
>by intermediate node (_:a in the example above, or _:int10node in
>the example below).  I don't see that as a problem.

I do, since there is no way to specify that type, it seems. Since you
are using xsd:integer to refer to the *lexical* space of the
datatype, there is no name available for the value space; and, worse,
the usual usage is that the datatype name refers to the value space
rather than the lexical space, so this idiom doesn't conform to
accepted usage either.

(In haste)

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax