RE: DATATYPES: mental dump.

From: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2001 12:20:50 +0200
To: phayes@ai.uwf.edu
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
> As far as I can make out from the above, the URV proposal is in fact
> just a syntactic sugaring of the DC proposal,

It is not just syntactic sugar, in that the URV form results
in a different graph than the DC form and thus allows
for substantial compression of graph real estate, but
it is very similar to the DC form in that there is a 1:1
correlation with regards to interpretation.

> which was taken out of
> the running in todays telecon; so we should treat the U proposal as
> also taken out of the running.

I never offered the U proposal as an all-or-nothing choice.

I offered it as providing a definition of what data typing
really involves with regards to RDF -- namely, the pairing
of a lexical form with a data type identifier. That's all.

There are other ways to define that pairing. My recent
recommendation defines three (of which URVs are one). The
other two are rdfs:range and something analogous to the
DC proposal, though with slightly different vocabulary.

I have come to think that all of the proposals which require
a redefinition of the graph model, or a departure from common
practice, or which cannot be expressed *efficiently* in RDF/XML
should be rejected. That includes X, S, P, and P++, insofar
as I understand them.

Patrick