RE: Answer to the question: What is a "value" to RDF

From: Pat Hayes <phayes@ai.uwf.edu>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 20:46:51 -0600
To: Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com
Cc: w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org
>  > >....
>>  >>  >This means that, whether a given RDF class denotes both
>>  >>  >a value space and a lexical space, or only a value space, any
>>  >>  >inferences about the valid membership of a given typed value in
>>  >>  >a superordinate class has only to do with value space.
>>  >>
>>  >>  No. If a class *denotes* a lexical space, then membership in that
>>  >>  lexical space will be relevant, obviously.
>>  >
>>  >Relevant when parsing the lexical form and mapping it to a value,
>>  >yes, but not necessarily relevant to operations taking
>>  >subClassOf relations into account.
>>  No, really. If a class name denotes a class consisting of lexical
>>  forms, i.e. if lexical forms are in the class extension, then lexical
>>  forms are what determine class membership and subClassOf relations.
>>  It would be the same if you substituted 'chickens' for 'lexical
>>  forms'.
>I think we're speaking different languages again... (maybe)

Yes, forget it. I think I was focussing in on 'denotes' too closely, is all.

>Right. (Hey! We're beginning to sync... ;-)

>  > >>  Now, the question arises, is
>>  >>  that semantic value a string or (say) a number?
>>  >
>>  >But the question is irrelevant within the scope of RDF! The
>>  >representation of the semantic value is undefined.
>>  I am not asking about a representation, but about the value itself,
>>  the denotation of the representation: what kind of thing does the
>>  literal mean/refer to/denote.
>>  The question is not irrelevant; it is central to the model theory.
>>  This entire debate has to eventually get cashed out in a model theory
>>  for this language.
>Do you mean, does the literal represent a value or a string
>that represents the value?

>I'd say that it represents the value, within the context of
>a data type.

Right, I agree that makes sense; but the S/DC proposals don't take
that route; they have all literals in the graph just denoting the
string that represents the value, and then have a bNode to denote the
value. It seems kind of arse-backwards, but I have to admit it sure
makes the semantics of literals simpler if they all just represent
strings, period.

IHMC					(850)434 8903   home
40 South Alcaniz St.			(850)202 4416   office
Pensacola,  FL 32501			(850)202 4440   fax